By Sulad Jhun Cardeinte
Today I would like to share my reflection in one of the writings of Paul. In the book of Galatians, we find a beautiful description of the fruit of the Spirit.
Galatians 5:22, 23 says, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, and self-control..” Gal. 5:22,23
These qualities are not mere attributes we strive to possess, but rather the outgrowth of a life transformed by the Holy Spirit.
Let us also consider the Spirit of Prophecy's words, reminding us that the purpose of our Christian journey is to bear fruit and reproduce Christ’s character in ourselves and others. Christ Object Lessons page 67 says, "The object of the Christian life is fruit bearing--the reproduction of character in the believer, that it may be reproduced in others." COL 67. Obviously, Ellen White talks about Galatians 5:22, 23.
“But the fruit of the Spirit is…..
1. Love: This is the first fruit mentioned. This is not a human love, but God’s love that reflects the very essence of God Himself. It is selfless, sacrificial, and unconditional. As followers of Christ, we are called to love God with all our hearts and to love our neighbors as ourselves. This love should permeate every aspect of our lives, manifesting in our relationships, actions, and attitudes.
2. Joy: True joy is not dependent on circumstances but springs forth from our relationship with Christ. It is a deep-seated contentment that remains even in the midst of trials and tribulations. The joy of the Lord becomes our strength and testimony, drawing others to experience the source of our joy.
3. Peace: The peace that surpasses all understanding guards our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. It is a peace that transcends worldly chaos, allowing us to find calmness and rest in the midst of life's storms. This peace should mark our interactions with others, as we seek to be peacemakers and agents of reconciliation.
4. Patience: Patience is a rare virtue. However, through the Holy Spirit's work in us, we can exhibit patience and tolerance towards others. It is a reflection of God's patient love towards us.
5. Kindness: Kindness is an expression of love in action. It is the willingness to extend a helping hand, offer encouraging words, and show compassion to those in need. Through acts of kindness, we reveal the character of Christ and open doors for the gospel to be shared.
6. Goodness: Goodness encompasses moral excellence and integrity. It is living a life that is upright and true. As Christians, we are called to be people of integrity in all areas of our lives, reflecting God's goodness and righteousness.
7. Faith: Faith is more than mere belief; it is trust and confidence in God's promises. By living a life of faith, we demonstrate our reliance on God's faithfulness and His ability to work in and through us. Our faith should inspire others to trust in God and seek His guidance.
8. Gentleness: Gentleness is often misunderstood as weakness, but it is a strength under control. It is a humble and considerate attitude towards others in challenging circumstances. By exercising gentleness, we create an atmosphere of love and respect, drawing others to the beauty of Christ.
9. Self-control: Self-control is the mastery over our desires, emotions, and actions. It empowers us to resist temptation and make choices that honor God. By displaying self-control, we become living testimonies of God's transforming power.
Brothers and sisters, as followers of Christ, we are called to bear the fruit of the Spirit. This fruit is evidence of our intimate connection with God and the transformative work of the Holy Spirit in our lives. As we allow the Holy Spirit to cultivate these qualities within us, we become instruments of God's love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness and self-control. Let us remember that
"The object of the Christian life is fruit bearing--the reproduction of character in the believer, that it may be reproduced in others." COL 67.
As we allow the Holy Spirit to cultivate these qualities, we become instruments of God's love and transformation. God bless you.